Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Pre-labour Stage

It has been exactly one week since Dr Siti last performed VE (seluk vagina) and found that I was 3 cm dilating. Still, there are no active signs of labour. That's because I have been very inactive at home for the past one week. Dr Siti would have let me continue working if my office is near to my house. But driving 80km daily back and fro is really not advisable at this stage. So she let me rest at home.

Signs of labour:
  • Persistent lower back pain or abdominal pain, with a pre-menstrual feeling and cramps. - I have the lower back and abdominal pain, pre-menstrual feeling but no cramps.
  • Painful contractions that occur at regular and increasingly shorter intervals, and become longer and stronger in intensity. - My contractions is very normal and irregular and still within long intervals. However, my tummy always get hardened and sometimes causes some pain when it gets hard. Sometimes, I am confused if this is also called contraction. I wouldn't know.
  • Broken waters. Your membranes may rupture with a gush or a trickle of amniotic fluid. Either way, call your maternity unit to let them know. - No yet at this point. But I have read some blogs where moms didnt even realise that the water has burst until doctor told them during the weekly checkup. Ini menakutkan sedikit.
  • A brownish or blood-tinged mucus discharge (bloody show). If you pass the mucus plug that blocks the cervix, labour could be imminent, or it could be several days away. It's a sign that things are moving along. - Early of the week, I have got some blood discharge but the midwife said it could be because of VE done by doctor. It stopped after two days. However, lately, I noticed that there are some mucus plug around the vagina slowly leaking. It is very clear but sticky and no smell.
  • An upset tummy or loose bowels. - I get this everyday for the last one week.
  • A period of feeling very emotional or moody - Easily get angry, yes!
  • Disrupted sleep - Oh, EVERY NIGHT i cry because of this!

Read more: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a181/how-will-i-know-when-i-am-in-labour#ixzz2Eiu5OuZb

However, selagi takde active contraction and air ketuban tak pecah, nothing to be alarmed about. But there is one thing I just found out today that I should be doing while resting at home....monitor baby's movement. I guess a bit too late for me now, as tomorrow will be my next appointment with the doctor, I'll just wait then.

Monitor baby's movement:
Draw a chart of the timing when the baby moves.
Start at the same time everyday and the 10th movement of the baby must be about the same time everyday (plus minus 1 hour).
If it's not... you must immediately go to the hospital.

For the past one week I have tried a few natural ways to induce labour. Although not diligently, but I have tried them anyway.

Natural induced labour:
1. Walking - The simple act of walking during pregnancy may help draw the baby down into your pelvis (thanks to gravity and the swaying of your hips). The pressure of the baby on your pelvis may then prime your cervix for labor — or may help labor progress if you've already felt some contractions. But if you have not been exercising the last 9 months of your life, this is VERY difficult, I tell you. Mengah dia tak terlawan. For the past one week, I have only done 1 day of evening walk, and about 10 times of naik turun the stairs daily. Thta's all I can afford to do. 

2. Sex - Sperm contains prostaglandins — hormones that can help thin and dilate the cervix, ripening it for delivery. What's more, an orgasm releases the hormone oxytocin, which can trigger contractions. In past one week, I have only done this once! Sebab serious, tak larat! But if you can do this everyday, nescaya cepat je nak beranak. Buat sekali pon dah nampak lubang vagina yang sedikit membesar.

3. Evening primrose oil - this herb can help the cervix thin and dilate and prep it for labor. You can take evening primrose oil capsules, or rub the oil onto your cervix during the last weeks of pregnancy. You can even insert the capsules into your vagina. Tapi saya tak buat ni. Nak insert atau nak makan pil-pil ni tak caya sikit.

4. Spicy Food -  Some people believe that spicy food, like castor oil, irritates your intestines (but more gently) and that can cause your uterus to contract. Spicy food is my favourite. Tapi kadang-kadang tu jadi sakit perut plak lebih-lebih, so be careful.

5. Acupuncture - Acupuncture, the art of inserting thin needles into specific pressure points on the body, can stimulate uterine activity and nudge the baby into action. Ishhh tak payah laaa sampai nak cucuk-cucuk, tak? 

6. Nipple stimulation - That's right, nipple stimulation (massaging and twisting) for a few hours a day can cause your body to release the hormone oxytocin, which brings on contractions. I don't do this myself of course. Rasa bodoh je nak stimulate diri sendiri. Please...get help from hubby :)

source: http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/photo-gallery/natural-ways-to-induce-labor.aspx#/slide-2


So basically i have done nothing much to induce labour. Not that i am at risk of overdue or anything like that. Baru nak masuk full term. So i believe that i should just wait whenever she is ready to meet me. No need to force her to come out. Maybe she needs more time to play inside my womb.

Baby I, just let me know whenever time you are ready, ok?



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...