Monday, May 25, 2009

It's Just Awesome









Sami Hyypia admitted he found it hard to hold back the tears during his emotional Anfield farewell on Sunday and thanked the Kop for their magnificent support.
The big number four was given the captain's armband when he came on for skipper Steven Gerrard in the 84th minute and the standing ovation he got told its own story.

Before kick-off a mosaic in the Kop paid tribute to a man who has given 10 years wonderful service to Liverpool Football Club.

Hyypia admitted it was a moment that moved him.

"It was fantastic and I would like to thank the fans for that and for their wonderful support to me during the 10 years I have been at the club," Hyypia told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"There were a few tears at the end and I was surprised I managed to keep them inside until then. That was a sad moment for me.

"I've always had a really good relationship with the fans. They have treated me as their own from day one and that will never change. I will miss them.

"Goodbyes are never easy but life goes on. Now I'm looking forward to a new challenge in Germany but I'm leaving Liverpool behind with great memories but sad feelings."

Hyypia almost made it the perfect send-off when he saw a stoppage time header saved by a combination of Gomes and Modric.

"It would have been the icing on the cake but it wasn't to be," he added. "It was a good ball in from Fabio but Tottenham scrambled the ball away."

The big Finn has also backed Rafael Benitez's side to sustain another title challenge next season and sees no reason why the Reds can’t win number 19.

"We just fell a little bit short this season but I'm sure next season the team will take a lot of confidence into it from the experience we had this year," he said.

"We had a lot of draws this season and United turned them into 1-0 wins, but hopefully it will be different next season."

*source:LFC's webpage

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...